[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Mon Mar 27 05:51:32 UTC 2023

At some point, every child of mine has learned what an apple is by seeing it, pointing to it, tasting it and eating it and sometimes by throwing it on the ground refusing to eat it.

Even our most abstract words all started as concrete metaphors. Ab-stract itself refers to a physical motion that any child could see and point to: "pull away."

Words refer to real things, or else they aren't words, they are babble. Babies do babble, and then they learn language by applying those sounds to actual, tangible things. They pull away from the tangible into abstraction but that connection to the physical world is never lost.

I get that some people don't "believe" in reality, but I personally don't find any argument about artificial consciousness convincing if it means the rest of the universe has to be condemned as unreal, mere flickerings in Plato's cave.

Tara Maya