[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:39:44 UTC 2023

The issue is people are failing to distinguish between and failing to
include both reality AND knowledge of reality.
If you think there is only one, you're going to think someone is saying
that one (or the other one) isn't real.
People think that if something 'seems' yellow, that there isn't really
anything that has that yellowness quality, which is false.
The redness quality is absolutely a quality of something in your brain.
Your knowledge of that quality's reality, and what it is like, cannot be
mistaken, even though that quality tells you nothing about the quality of
the apple.
The apple, and your knowledge of the apple are both very real, physical
things.
When you say that the apple is red, you are saying two things (two
referents):

1. a non qualitative fact about the property of the apple which causes it
to reflect light in a certain way.
2. a qualitative statement about a fact of your knowledge of that apple, in
your brain.

The apple reflects the kind of light it does, because of its light physical
reflecting properties.
We represent properties like this with knowledge in our brain that is false
colored to have a redness quality.
Whatever it is, in the brain, that has this quality behaves the way it
does, because of its quality, the same way the apple reflects red light,
because of its physicaL property.
Our brain computes with knowledge that has a redness quality, so we can
focus on what is important, so we know what to eat (not the green stuff),
and so on.

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:57 PM Tara Maya via extropy-chat <