[ExI] The Automathician

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:57:30 UTC 2023

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 01:36, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat

> It occurred to me that LLMs mated to a mathematical inference engine (like the Wolfram Alpha plug-in for GPT) and enhanced with visual data processing capabilities might make excellent automatic mathematicians.
>
> Mathematical inference in the sense of symbol manipulation and theorem proving can be automated relatively easily but up till now such systems lacked the intuition and imagination as well as the sense of beauty that mathematicians use to select among the infinite numbers of mathematical objects and properties the ones that are worth thinking about. A theorem prover without this intuition would just aimlessly churn out proofs and never create anything useful. But add an intuition trained on the patterns imprinted in the mathematical literature by the minds of the mathematicians who create math, and the Automathician could write math like a human. Since its breadth of mathematical knowledge and raw symbol manipulation ability would be vastly superior to any human, its high-level mathematical insights could become superhumanly mathemagical.
>
> A modest LLM training project using a corpus of mathematical papers with RLHF provided by mathematicians could be a very interesting endeavor. Who knows what kind of very non-obvious and ground-breaking truths could be discovered? The algorithms based on such non-human insights could be of immense practical value, too.
>
> Rafal

Stephen Wolfram agrees!

ChatGPT Gets Its “Wolfram Superpowers”!
March 23, 2023

<https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/03/chatgpt-gets-its-wolfram-superpowers/>

Quotes:
In Just Two and a Half Months…
(To enable the functionality described here, select and install the
Wolfram plugin from within ChatGPT).

Early in January I wrote about the possibility of connecting ChatGPT
to Wolfram|Alpha. And today—just two and a half months later—I’m
excited to announce that it’s happened! Thanks to some heroic software
engineering by our team and by OpenAI, ChatGPT can now call on
Wolfram|Alpha—and Wolfram Language as well—to give it what we might
think of as “computational superpowers”. It’s still very early days
for all of this, but it’s already very impressive—and one can begin to
see how amazingly powerful (and perhaps even revolutionary) what we
can call “ChatGPT + Wolfram” can be.
---------

The article provides many examples of what ChatGPT + Wolfram can do.

BillK