[ExI] The Automathician

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Mar 27 14:21:08 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Automathician

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 01:36, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

>>... It occurred to me that LLMs mated to a mathematical inference engine (like the Wolfram Alpha plug-in for GPT) and enhanced with visual data processing capabilities might make excellent automatic mathematicians.... Rafal

Stephen Wolfram agrees!

ChatGPT Gets Its “Wolfram Superpowers”!
March 23, 2023

<https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/03/chatgpt-gets-its-wolfram-superpowers/>

---------

The article provides many examples of what ChatGPT + Wolfram can do.

BillK

Cool!

OK hipsters, time to really start thinking now.

The chess world has long known that someone would eventually figure out a way to use computing devices so well concealed they cannot be detected.  Someone finally did it, in 2022.  He was caught, not because they discovered the device but because he played in such a way he could not explain.  The top grandmasters examined the game and unanimously agreed he didn't play it without some kind of computing device.  In that particular case, the guy whodunnit had a history of cheating, including in money tournaments, but the point is that he figured out how to conceal it.

ChatGPT is an expert on everything, certainly relative to me it is.  So... the next obvious step is to figure out how to interface this so that it is listening to conversation and can help any ignoramus appear to not suck.  It wouldn't be necessary or desirable to conceal the device: it could communicate the answers to a prole thru google-glass style retinal painters (whatever happened to those things? (did they go out of style? (why?))) or go audio and talk into the ear.