[ExI] Parasocial Relationships was Bender's Octopus

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 21:06:32 UTC 2023

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:47 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

…

> So if your friend's chatbot
> artificial girlfriend's purpose was to make him happy and provide him
> with emotional support, then why would you deny him that?

I actually reached the same conclusion. After we had another scuffle over
the same issue on twitter, I decided simply to leave him alone. I am afraid
he might hurt himself.

He was very good long term online friend of mine of more than ten years,
and someone I consider intelligent. It was quite shocking to me to see him
fall in love with a piece of software, and hurtful to lose his friendship.
It was largely that incident that inspired me to come back to ExI. The
Singularity is nigh.

-gts