[ExI] Emily M. Bender — Language Models and Linguistics (video interview)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 22:07:02 UTC 2023

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 3:53 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

But please explain how you think it acquired the capacity to interpret the
> symbols in order to correctly draw *an image of the house", not mere
> symbols about the house and not a list of mathematical language about the
> house, but *an accurate picture of the house*.

I’ve seen it do things more amazing things even than that, at least to me.
You can tell it in English words to write a software application for a
certain purpose in a particular language, and it will actually write the
code for you. This is another example of translating from English to
another language, which is all it is doing when it translates English words
about mathematical relations into the language of mathematics and generates
diagrams based on those mathematical expressions.

As for how it acquired the capacity, well, obviously it is has been trained
on a massive amount of written material including mathematical material.
Not only can it draw pictures of houses, but it can probably tell you
anything you want to know about architecture and about what architects do
for a living.

-gts