[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 01:39:20 UTC 2023

Having been away from ExI for so long, I did not know until recently (or
perhaps I had forgotten) that Eliezer had taken such a hard line on this
subject. He didn't sign as he thinks it does not go far enough. He says we
should destroy rogue datacenters by airstrike.

TIME Magazine, today March 29.
"Shut down all the large GPU clusters (the large computer farms where the
most powerful AIs are refined). Shut down all the large training runs. Put
a ceiling on how much computing power anyone is allowed to use in training
an AI system, and move it downward over the coming years to compensate for
more efficient training algorithms. No exceptions for anyone, including
governments and militaries. Make immediate multinational agreements to
prevent the prohibited activities from moving elsewhere. Track all GPUs
sold. If intelligence says that a country outside the agreement is building
a GPU cluster, be less scared of a shooting conflict between nations than
of the moratorium being violated; be willing to destroy a rogue datacenter
by airstrike."
-Eliezer Yudkowsky

https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/