[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 02:30:37 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 6:41 PM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <

> If intelligence says that a country outside the agreement is building a
> GPU cluster, be less scared of a shooting conflict between nations than of
> the moratorium being violated; be willing to destroy a rogue datacenter by
> airstrike."
> -Eliezer Yudkowsky

While I will give him credit for at least seriously addressing why this
wouldn't simply be an open gift to China et al, I also note that such
measures are going to get this proposal laughed out of any room that could
make it happen.

The threat, if it exists*, has not been proven - in terms that most
members of Congress would understand - to anywhere near the degree that
would justify these actions.  Without that proof, this ban ain't happening.

The challenge is getting Eliezer et al to understand that, so they can try
to restate the threat using facts and logic that Congress will understand.
For example, they pretty much take it as self-evident that runaway AI will
not happen, at least not any time soon, so any proof that assumes runaway
AI in the near future (such as the six months of the proposed ban) must be
discarded.  That appears to be most of their proofs.  Declaring that this
is "too difficult" is giving up on making the ban actually happen, making
all their yelling, screaming, and panic a pointless waste.

* Personally, I side with Congress here in doubting the near-term potential
for runaway AI.  I am willing to be proven wrong, but more importantly, I'd
prefer that those who perceive a threat not utterly waste their efforts, in
case they are right.  Calling for a ban - which would presumably require
Congress to issue one - without proving to Congress that there is a threat
is utterly wasted effort.