[ExI] The case for how and why AI might kill us all

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 31 17:48:04 UTC 2023

.> On Behalf Of Tara Maya via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] The case for how and why AI might kill us all

>.I'm just a humble historian.

No way Tara.  I am humbler than thou.  OK time for a match up.

>.All I can figure out is that these doomsayers are assuming AI will be
pitted against humanity, whereas it seems far more likely to me that
Humans-In-Group-A+AI will be pitted against Humans-in-Group-B without AI. In
which case, yeah, it's obvious those with AI will win..

They sure will.  I got to see that firsthand with a series of lawsuits my
parents were involved in regarding land use in Oregon.  They were being sued
by neighbors to stop their building a house on 118 acres of farmland, which
is too small to be farmed profitably without a house and equipment on the
property (that's just were we are in agriculture today.)

My mother really knows how to use the internet, and did.  The neighbors,
even though they have cable up there, either didn't know how or just didn't.
The kept suing and bringing absurd cases which could easily be debunked with
a few hours of due diligence, now about an hour with ChatGPT acting as one's
paralegal.  She won ever case, with at least two of them being dismissed
with prejudice, and one of them resulting in those bring the case committing
extortion.  She chose to not press charges.  The house was built.

This demonstrates the power of the internet and now ChatGPT in the hands of
one party in a conflict but not the other.  Do let me assure you, China
rejoiced when they saw Eliezer's proposal as the lede story on American
mainstream media.

>.I still see fear of technology as a greater danger than technology. Tara
Maya

Ja, I agree.  This is not to say that fear of this technology is
unjustifiable.  My contention is that there is no way to stop it.  We are
not going to call in airstrikes on server farms.  China really is likely to
invade Taiwan to control GPU production.