[ExI] LAION: like CERN but for AI

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Mar 31 19:10:56 UTC 2023

In contrast to the American open letter calling for a moratorium on AI
research, here is petition by the European-based Large-scale
Artificial Intelligence Open Network calling for a giant research
center, similar to CERN, but for open source AI research instead of
particle physics. I signed this one because, nobody has ever stopped
evolution by refusing to participate.

https://www.openpetition.eu/petition/online/securing-our-digital-future-a-cern-for-open-source-large-scale-ai-research-and-its-safety

Hey, Giulio, I had never heard of LAION before stumbling across its
petition. What kind of reputation does it have on your side of the
Atlantic? Any chance it might go the route of OpenAI and sell out the
open source community?

Stuart LaForge