[ExI] Dr. GPT, Problem-solver

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon May 1 08:31:36 UTC 2023

I have an idea.

Instead of endlessly arguing and giving these GPT systems leading
questions about whether they are conscious or understand things then
believing their answers when they correspond to our preconceptions, why
doesn't somebody ask one how it can help us cure cancer?

Or any number of really important real-world problems.

I mean, who cares if it 'really understands', when the real question is
can it really solve real problems?

Let's get real!

Just a suggestion.

(I've mentioned before that we only understand a small percentage of our
own metabolism. It strikes me that these AI systems, if instead of (or
as well as) being trained on words, are trained on metabolic reactions,
they might be of enormous use in a ton of biomedical areas (regardless
of whether they 'really understand' the reactions or not))

Ben