[ExI] Dr. GPT, Problem-solver

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 1 10:25:32 UTC 2023

On Mon, 1 May 2023 at 09:34, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> I have an idea.
>
> Instead of endlessly arguing and giving these GPT systems leading
> questions about whether they are conscious or understand things then
> believing their answers when they correspond to our preconceptions, why
> doesn't somebody ask one how it can help us cure cancer?
>
> Or any number of really important real-world problems.

<snip>

> Ben

Yup. AI is being eagerly grabbed by researchers to speed up their work.
<https://neurosciencenews.com/ai-drug-discovery-23150/>
Quote:
There has been a seismic shift in computational drug discovery in the
last few years: an explosion of data availability on clinically
relevant, human-protein structures—and molecules that bind them,
enormous chemical libraries of drug-like molecules, almost unlimited
computing power and new, more efficient computational methods.

The newest excitement is about AI-based drug discovery, but what’s
even more powerful is a combination of AI and structure-based drug
discovery, with both approaches synergistically complementing each
other.

The exponential speedup in AI development is rapidly spreading to
other fields of research.
The coming singularity is going to affect everything, not just developing AGI.

BillK