[ExI] Dr. GPT, Problem-solver

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon May 1 20:01:32 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 1, 2023, 12:08 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Yea for Ben!  Let's get real:
>
> Life.  Consciousness.  Intelligence. etc.
>
> Things hard to define.  What good will come when we agree on the meanings
> of these words?   Is an AI conscious or not?  Who cares?  Why should we
> care?

If we fill the galaxy with self replicating probes, or make AI companions
and coworkers, we would prefer they be conscious would we not?, especially
if humans someday went extinct but left these machines behind.

Conversely, if we mistreat AIs, robots, or androids, and make them suffer
or subject themntonstress, make them labor without any rewards, we would
prefer they not be conscious, would we not?

These aren't idle philosophical questions but perhaps among the most
pressing ethical considerations of our time.

Jason