[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon May 1 20:42:45 UTC 2023

On 01/05/2023 20:22, Gadersd wrote:

> I think you have “communicating” and “convincing” confused. I am
> confident that most members on the list understand what your theory
> is. The problem is that we just don’t find it convincing.

Well, I don't understand it. I can't make head nor tail of it. Which is
why I'm asking these questions. I originally thought that the argument
was that, literally, molecules had experiences, and that our own
experiences were somehow the same thing (the 'glutamate = seeing red'
idea (although exactly which shade of red was never mentioned)).
Obviously that's nonsense, but that's the only interpretation I've been
able to come up with. And as my disproof of the idea was not accepted, I
must have had the wrong idea.

So if lots of people here do understand this theory, surely someone can
communicate it to me in words of no more than 3 syllables? Preferably 2.

As if explaining it to an 8-year old, who happens to know a lot of
biology, but has never read a philosophy book, please.

I didn't understand what Darren meant (or who he's responding to) by
"Qualia certainly correlate to physical reality, but declaring causation
there seems like a bit of a stretch - at least a begging of the question
of materialism.

it's a very odd sort of causation where the physical properties of the
presumptive proximate cause have nothing to do with the characteristics
of the caused phenomena."

Does the mental image of a unicorn 'correlate to physical reality'? I
don't think so. Or is that not a quale? On the other hand, physical
reality doesn't cause qualia? Well not by itself, but when oscillating
pressure waves enter my ears, I normally hear a noise. I'm pretty sure
that's not just a correlation.

And the last paragraph, does that mean that it's very odd that if you
poke someone with a stick, they'll probably shout at you? Because I
don't think that's odd at all. Similarly, what our eyes see is a
collection of edges and light intensities, but what we perceive is a dog
leap-frogging a sheep. It might be an odd event, but it's not odd at all
that we turn the one bunch of things into something completely different.

Ben