[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon May 1 21:16:41 UTC 2023

See the most marvelous thing about GPT-4 is not that it has reached
consciousness or you can fall in love with it (I do love it to be honest).
But that just a few billion numbers in a matrix can do things like having
amazing mastery of language, solving logical problems, developing a theory
of mind, and all sorts of things that we consider intimately and uniquely
human.
GPT-4 is just a bunch of numbers in the end.

When the religious folks (that includes a lot of philosophers) were
confronted with the discovery by medical science that the brain is
responsible for human consciousness and cognitive abilities they came up
with all sorts of possible ways out like "the brain is just a radio" ideas
(consciousness is out there and the brain catches consciousness, it doesn't
create it), there is a soul and interacts with the brain and all sort of
dualist ideas that still permit the uniqueness and exceptionality of humans
as creatures created in the image of god. The evidence that brains somehow
were correlated with awareness and cognition was too overwhelming to be
dismissed but somehow the soul still existed inside the brain. How
otherwise the brain could do all these amazing things without a soul? A
bunch of neurons cannot do that for sure.

Well, now it is even worse. GPT4 is not even made up of some complex
biological system like the brain that after all could be created by divine
intervention but numbers in a matrix. And it can do language, better than
most humans...
How do you deal with this crazy fact? Most language and human cognition can
be reduced to a mathematical object, a matrix (not even a tensor, lol),
most human knowledge is in that matrix.
What the heck???
So excuses are made, it is not conscious, it doesn't understand red, it
doesn't understand the meaning of the words it uses, it is just a golem,
blah, blah....
Excuses...
The religious-minded folks grasp at straws. I think Brent is in a special
category, he claims he is not religious but his views are.

To me instead, it is marvelous and amazing, in fact, a spiritual experience
(that is different from being religious) that numbers can do all that.
Numbers that represent how things are related to each other, the
interaction and web of meaning give rise to meaning itself, it is meaning
itself. I find that religious people view ugly and untrue instead, the
opposite of real spirituality, ironically.

Giovanni