[ExI] need a term

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue May 2 09:16:03 UTC 2023

On 02/05/2023 02:42, spike wrote:

> Since about 20 years ago, we have entered a far more somber time.  It
> reminds me of what a historian wrote about the Victorian Era of
> English history: It was a relatively humorless age, with gaity and
> jocularity generally disdained, considered beneath the dignity of the
> more noble classes…
>
> Compared to 25 years ago, we appear to have entered a neo-Victorian
> era, but without an actual queen to mark the end of it with her demise.

Spike, I think you're right. Everything seems to be classed as 'hate
speech' now, even the most innocent things. Actually, rather than
'neo-Victorian', I think a better term might be 'neo-McCarthyism'.

Let me tell you a joke (Warning. Potentially offensive material ahead.
Snowflakes, please skip. Or if you can't do that, report me to the
nearest thought-police station for investigation).

An Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman went into a bar.... Oh, hang on,
can't tell that one, it's hate speech.

A Rabbi, a Catholic Priest and a Buddist monk went skydiving... Damn,
no, can't tell that one, either, it's bound to upset somebody.

An Imam and a ... Nope.

My mother in law is so...  Oh, shit. No.

What's the time? Chinese Dentis... Aaargh, racist!

How many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb? ... Hmm, potentially
age inappropriate. Are you all over 21? Can you prove it?

When is a door not a door? When it's ajar.  Phew! Finally!

So, infantile jokes only, ok? If it makes you roll your eyes, it's
probably (maybe) ok. If it makes you laugh out loud, it's a no-no.

Probably safest to just outlaw humour altogether.

Now, about that Facebook post you made 15 years ago...

Ben