[ExI] need a term

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue May 2 13:27:53 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

>…Spike, I think you're right. Everything seems to be classed as 'hate speech' now, even the most innocent things. Actually, rather than 'neo-Victorian', I think a better term might be 'neo-McCarthyism'.
…

I keep wondering if we will get over this, as we did with McCarthyism.

>…An Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman went into a bar.... Oh, hang on, can't tell that one, it's hate speech….

That opener is still relatively safe.  I don’t think the Brits have taken up being offended at everything.  But since you got me started, I heard a good one which starts out that way.  Each of gentlemen order a pint but a fly comes in and lands in the English lad’s mug.  He pushes it away in disgust.  Then a fly lands in the Irishman’s tankard.  He picks out the beast, flicks it away and continues drinking as if nothing happened.  Then a fly lands in the Scotsman’s grail.  He angrily plucks it out by the wings and begins tapping on its back, shouting:  Spit it oot, ya thievin’ bahstid!”

It's even funnier if you can do the accents right.

We can still do engineer, physicist, mathematician go to a bar jokes.  For now.

>…Probably safest to just outlaw humour altogether…

It’s getting that way it seems.

>…Now, about that Facebook post you made 15 years ago...Ben

It does seem to be the style these days to judge people of the past by the ethical standards of today.  It is a form of self-righteousness in which the Victorian nobility indulged itself as well.