[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue May 2 12:53:53 UTC 2023

On 02/05/2023 02:42, Jason Resch wrote:
> I don't follow why saying that "experience is" rather than "experience
> is caused" escapes or answers the question of who is having the
> experience.

The 'who' is the neural pattern. This is the central point.

I suppose you could say "experience is caused by the neural pattern, in
the neural pattern", but that might be more confusing. To me at least,
it's clearer to say the experience and the neural pattern are the same
thing.

The point is to eliminate the dualism implicit in the language used.
It's not "my experience is caused by these neural patterns" (which
implies the question "what am I? What is it that these patterns cause to
have the experience?"), it's "I am these neural patterns, having this
experience". And no, that doesn't mean only patterns created by
biological neurons will do. Anything capable of producing the same
patterns will produce the same result: Me.

Ben