[ExI] need a term

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue May 2 14:45:14 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] need a term

It does seem to be the style these days to judge people of the past by the ethical standards of today.  It is a form of self-righteousness in which the Victorian nobility indulged itself as well.

spike     Nothing is so believable to a person than that he is better than someone else.  As for humor, puns and other word plays are sin-free.   bill w

Hey cool, idea: let’s figure out how to screw up puns as well, so that they too are no longer sin-free, wordplay that fills young people with the stifling self-righteous indignation for which they have become known.

Billw, back in the 70s I went to a Steve Martin performance at Stetson U in Florida.  He was doing his usual Steve Martin cutups and the college crowd was eating it up.  Martin: HEY, it’s GREAT to be here in Deland!  It’s right by de water.

We thought it was the funniest joke.  He followed with: College crowds are so easy.  Some of you haven’t started having sex yet, and you are so horny you will laugh at anything.