[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue May 2 15:49:01 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 2, 2023, 10:19 AM Gadersd via extropy-chat <

> > Chapter One
> >
> > There is no 'hard problem'.
> >
> > The end.
>
> I agree that most philosophers are hallucinating a problem into existence,
> but there is some interesting structure to the way the patterns are
> organized in the brain that is worth elaborating on. It is beautiful, sort
> of like a mosaic.

The hard problem of consciousness comes about by assuming a particular
answer to the mind-body problem.

The mind-body problem asks: what is the nature of the connection between
mind and matter.

If you assume matter is fundamental (materialism) then you end up with "the
hard problem of consciousness" -- how to explain the appearance of
consciousness given only matter.

On the other hand:

If you assume consciousness is fundamental (materialism) then you end up
with "the hard problem of matter" -- how to explain the appearance of
matter given only consciousness.

There is, I believe, a solution to the mind-body problem which explains the
appearance of matter as well as the existence of consciousness. But the
answer ventures beyond philosophy of mind and into ontology. I think
without this complete picture, no attempt at answering either the hard
problem of consciousness or the hard problem of matter would have led to a
satisfactory explanation.

Many on this list have written off philosophy as an outmoded and pointless
endeavor, but I disagree. Good philosophers use thought, logic and
rationality to frame the possibility space of answers and their
implications. In this way, philosophers scout out and chart paths which
theoretical scientists will later traverse and which empirical scientists
will eventually test.

Jason