[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue May 2 17:37:26 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 8:50 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> If you assume matter is fundamental (materialism) then you end up with
> "the hard problem of consciousness" -- how to explain the appearance of
> consciousness given only matter.

I may be misunderstanding something, but this does not seem to be a
particularly hard problem.

Consciousness is an emergent phenomena from certain configurations of
matter.  There are many (many many) configurations that would qualify,
though large as the set is, it is a tiny fraction - far less than one
percent - of all possible combinations.  It is possible to fake this to a
greater or lesser degree: there are constructs that appear at first to be
conscious but more detailed examination reveals it is not.  Some
configurations are of such greater degree that they even deceive themselves
into thinking there is more to it - something perhaps fundamental about
consciousness itself.

(In other words, if p-zombies could exist - which depends in part on the
definitions one uses for the concepts behind p-zombies - then we would all
be p-zombies.)