[ExI] Supervenience (was: Re: What is "Elemental Redness"?)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Wed May 3 08:49:49 UTC 2023

On 03/05/2023 00:28, Jason Resch wrote:

> Here is a simple diagram of supervenience:
> https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Levels_of_existence.svg#mw-jump-to-license

And here's the definition provided by Wikipedia:

"In philosophy, supervenience refers to a relation between sets of
properties or sets of facts. X is said to supervene on Y if and only if
some difference in Y is necessary for any difference in X to be possible."

Hm, that definition and that diagram don't refer to the same thing.

The diagram shows levels of organisation, or 'layers of abstraction'.
Some things are built from other, lower-level things. That's pretty much
universal. But the defnition states that a change in a higher level must
be the result of a change in a lower level.

Changes in, say, the configuration of molecules happens all the time
without requiring changes in the atoms that they are built from. Same
with any pair of levels.

So I think these are talking about two different things. (Depending on
your definition of 'change', I suppose).

In the brain, the levels of organisation include circuits built from
neurons. Circuits can and do change all the time without the neurons
they are built from, changing. You can get thousands of different
circuits from the same few dozen neurons. This corresponds to the
concept that the diagram illustrates.

The information pattern that results from a particular neural circuit
firing, does correspond to the definition, though. Any change in the
pattern must be produced by a change in the circuit. Similarly, any
change in the circuit will cause a change in the pattern. They are
effectively just two ways of looking at the same thing. An information
pattern, and its embodiment, rather than higher and lower levels of
organisation, which are usually completely different things.

(Actually, the diagram is missing at least two levels, in between
molecules and cells. That's where the most interesting and important
things about biology are, really. Yeah, I know it's just an example, but
that's a glaring omission, to me).

Anyway, am I confused about this? Or are those two things really
different things? (diagram and definition that it's supposed to
illustrate) If not, I need to think about it a bit more...

Ben