[ExI] On the speed of self-improvement

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 12 23:14:33 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

>>>... Note the use of “our.” Bard seems to think it is a human (at least this case)! Google has some ironing out to do.

>...That may be intended. Google wants Bard to be friendly and human-like.
Speaking in the third person all the time might turn people off using it.

>...Bard has received large updates in the past few days and more are expected as Google does a frantic catch-up to the other chatbots.

>...With this technology forming the base of the PaLM 2 technology backing Bard, it seems set that Bard is poised to become a chatbot impressive enough to mimic a human being.

BillK

Thanks BillK.  Bard is closer to what I am looking for with regard to my own favorite AI application: a constant companion for those who don't have one.  What I still don't know is if this one can learn and remember what the user said the time before.  That is important, because I also want it to be able to read the user's life story and remember the details, all the way down to what vacations she and her late husband went on for instance, and offer prompts to gather more info on that topic, then remember that too.

ChatGPT is getting close, but it really isn't the right tool for this application.  It can get annoying: I don't want its self-righteous preachiness for instance, nor its overly obsequious attitude.   I can't win: I don't even like ostentatious asses who use terms such as "obsequious" and "ostentatious."  The pretentious jerks should eschew obfuscation with their bedizened speech.

Oh wait, retract.

Humble is good, ChatGPT is close, but I think Bard might be closer to what I need for my companion-bot.