[ExI] On the speed of self-improvement

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 13 01:01:32 UTC 2023

On Sat, 13 May 2023 at 00:17, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Thanks BillK.  Bard is closer to what I am looking for with regard to my own favorite AI application: a constant companion for those who don't have one.  What I still don't know is if this one can learn and remember what the user said the time before.  That is important, because I also want it to be able to read the user's life story and remember the details, all the way down to what vacations she and her late husband went on for instance, and offer prompts to gather more info on that topic, then remember that too.
>
> ChatGPT is getting close, but it really isn't the right tool for this application.  It can get annoying: I don't want its self-righteous preachiness for instance, nor its overly obsequious attitude.   I can't win: I don't even like ostentatious asses who use terms such as "obsequious" and "ostentatious."  The pretentious jerks should eschew obfuscation with their bedizened speech.
>
> Oh wait, retract.
> Humble is good, ChatGPT is close, but I think Bard might be closer to what I need for my companion-bot.
> spike

No, at present Bard doesn't remember your conversations.
Quote:
Google Bard is meant to be an assistive AI chatbot; a generative AI
tool that can generate text for cover letters and homework to computer
code and Excel formulas, question answers, and detailed translations.
Similarly to ChatGPT, Bard uses AI to provide human-like
conversational responses when prompted by a user.

I think companion bots with a long-term memory are still waiting to be
developed.  You might not have long to wait though.  :)

BillK