[ExI] morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu May 18 13:10:40 UTC 2023

On Wed, 17 May 2023, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat wrote:

> Isn't much of morality based around making as many people as happy as
> possible?  In other words, getting them what they truly want?  Brent

Brent, I think you are right on about morality.  For myself I have a philosophy that is similar to altruism in a way, but with an important exception.  Altruism is about sacrificing oneself for others, which is good, but altruism really needs some kind of objective measure of how much good one is doing others, in order to determine if the sacrifice is worth it.

I follow an ethical system I call sometruism.  In that system, the objective measure is profit.  If one is benefiting others, one makes money.  So it is like altruism where one gets rich doing it.  Sacrificing oneself for others and profit.  Measure how much good one is doing by how much clean lucre one earns doing it.  Clean lucre is a good thing, and people benefit from your self-sacrificing capitalism.