[ExI] morality

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu May 18 14:49:45 UTC 2023

On Thu, 18 May 2023 at 14:19, spike jones via extropy-chat

<snip>
> I follow an ethical system I call sometruism.  In that system, the objective measure is profit.  If one is benefiting others, one makes money.  So it is like altruism where one gets rich doing it.  Sacrificing oneself for others and profit.  Measure how much good one is doing by how much clean lucre one earns doing it.  Clean lucre is a good thing, and people benefit from your self-sacrificing capitalism.
>
> spike

Your comment points out the failure of health care in the US.

<https://time.com/6279956/americans-dying-young/>
Quotes:
Why Americans Are Dying So Young
By Laudan Aron and Gavin Yamey    May 16, 2023

Life expectancy in America fell sharply in 2020. It fell again in
2021. The COVID-19 pandemic certainly played a role, but that’s not
the whole story. During this same time period, eight of the ten
leading causes of death also increased. Even maternal and child and
adolescent mortality increased. In August 2022, federal health
officials released new data showing that across all demographic
groups, Americans are dying younger.

The U.S. healthcare system, its high costs, and its poor health
outcomes, start to “make sense” when viewed through a business case
lens, and its optimization of revenue and profits, rather than health
and wellbeing. As Dr. Elisabeth Rosenthal, editor-in-chief of KFF
Health News, says about the U.S. medical market, “a lifetime of
treatment is preferable to a cure” and “prices will rise to whatever
the market will bear.” It should come as no surprise then that that
the U.S. healthcare system is one driver of the poor health and
survival of Americans, many of whom are uninsured, underinsured,
medically undertreated or overtreated, distrustful of the system, and
drowning in medical debt.