[ExI] Fwd: On Large-language models

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:30:55 UTC 2023

I researched this question a few years ago, and reached the following
conclusions:

https://alwaysasking.com/when-will-ai-take-over/

In 2013, Vincent C. Muller and Nick Bostrom surveyed over 500 AI
researchers.

When asked “When is [Artificial General Intelligence] likely to happen?”

10% of respondents thought it would happen by 2022
50% of respondents thought it would happen by 2040
90% of respondents thought it would happen by 2075

Interestingly, an economic model in 1960 predicted the economy would go
hyperbolic towards Infinity in 2027 A.D. ± 5.5 years.

https://alwaysasking.com/when-will-ai-take-over/#The_Doomsday_Equation

What is interesting is this data for this model existed back in ancient and
medieval times. So an economist in ancient Rome could have predicted this
same time frame based on data available then.

Jason

On Fri, May 19, 2023, 12:06 AM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <