[ExI] ai wants to do ya

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri May 19 13:09:22 UTC 2023

Quoting Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>:

> Stuart, sorry to say, but that's just nonsense.
>
> Breeding is slow.  Editing gets results much faster, but given
> nanotech, you could construct a person with your target genome.

Hi Keith,
I am glad that the recent advances in AI have caused you have to delurk. :)

While it is likely that gene-editing through CRISPR and other
technologies would be used, in order for the genetic modifications to
be heritable, they must be stably incorporated into the human germline
and that will require breeding as slow as it is. It would be even
slower and far more costly and inefficient to try to engineer
everybody's somatic cells. And nanotech sufficiently robust to
construct an adult human de novo out of atoms would require several
breakthroughs that do not seem to be on the horizon at this time.

AI planned CRISPR tech and selective breeding using sex bots could
happen using refinements of existing technologies in the next couple
of decades. God-like AGI constructing full-grown designer humans from
organic sludge is considerably further off and less likely.

Stuart LaForge