[ExI] ai wants to do ya

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 19 14:19:55 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, 19 May, 2023 6:58 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: Re: [ExI] ai wants to do ya

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 6:25 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

snip

>>...>... One plausible scenario is that AI figures out how to de-age humans, then doesn’t.  It has no motive to de-age humans.

>...At present (and only as far as I know) no AI has motivation except to the point that humans ask it.

Agreed Keith, but some here might disagree with that.

>... It makes sense that the Chinese would be looking into what progress the rest of the world is making.  You are closer to the center and perhaps could do a bit of informal asking at the upcoming Sens meeting.  I believe this is not on the controlled technology list, so cooperation would be in the interest of both and might already be ongoing.

Keith

Ja, Keith, 20 years ago I was going to all that kinda stuff and keeping up.  Now, I learn as much as I can by hanging out here, but stopped chasing about going to every in-person conferences, all the techy lectures and nanotech this and singularity that and emergent AI the other thing.  It was fun, definitely a heady trip, but I have mostly moved on, don't plan to go back.  Still live in the same place, just changed my focus.  It's all good.  Stand down, let the younger people step up.  Let's see what they do with their brave new world.

I still stay in touch with cryonics friends, good folks.  Ralph Merkle is still hosting parties at his house, haven't been to one for a while.  Lots of nanotech stuff available free over at Stanford and Berkeley, but I haven't been over there in over three years for that purpose.  Been there for high school math competitions and Science Olympiad and such, both places.

Fun aside: I don't understand why but our academic STEM elite seem to be more interested in Cal Polytechnic Institute in San Luis Obispo than Berkeley or Stanford.  They know they are overqualified, but that's a choice for several of them.  Conjectures on why are most welcome.  This new generation refuses to worship at the altar of higher education.