[ExI] road to wellville, was: RE: morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 19 22:12:28 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>> junk food or if it is not, but do consider the rise of the breakfast
> cereal industry in Battle Creek Michigan starting with John Harvey
> Kellogg.  This is a story for another time.

>...Please share, I'm all for interesting stories! =)

Daniel, there is a book called Road to Wellville by Coraghessan Boyle, a
very talented writer who produced a fine historical comedy as his rooky
card.  The movie version was entertaining as all hell and was filled with
carefully-researched historical accuracy.  It was about John Harvey Kellogg
and his quirky ways, how he started the breakfast food industry.

The movie cast features the extremely talented Dana Carvey at his best (this
was before Wayne's World) as Kellogg's adopted son.  Kellogg was one who
strongly believed in people were made not born.  It was all about proper
upbringing and training.  So he found an orphan child, adopted him, gave him
everything to be successful.  Matthew Broderick was in that playing a
customer of Kellogg's health spa.  John Cusack was a composite character
which included competitors such as CW Post, who figured out these healthy
breakfast cereals would be so much more palatable with a bit of sugar, and
still more palatable with a lot more sugar.  He was one who realized too
much sugar was just right.  The tradition continues to this day.

 Wellville was the historically accurate story of that adopted son and the
rise of the cereal industry.

Rent that.  Good clean fun.  Well, sorta clean, or perhaps somewhat clean,
very hilarious, well researched.  The book is even better, but requires a
lot more time investment.