[ExI] road to wellville, was: RE: morality

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 20 22:16:06 UTC 2023

On Sat, 20 May 2023 at 23:01, spike jones via extropy-chat
> Consider the function of prayer by the religious.  We consider it pointless
> discussion with an imaginary being, but is it anything else?  Ja!  It causes
> the prole to slow down, consider their actions, maybe take it a little
> slower, particularly to be slow to anger.  Sometimes it helps humans to hear
> themselves verbalize about a problem, for they talk themselves into a
> solution.
>
> Consider using ChatGPT or Eliza as a life coach, or the poor-man's
> psychologist.  ChatGPT can't really counsel the user beyond what they tells
> it, ja?  Eliza doesn't even pretend to do that very sincerely.  So what is
> that?  It is the atheist's prayer.
>
> Using ChatGPT as a life coach is the atheist's version of prayer.
>
> spike

Really?  ChatGTP can write essays about their problems.
With a continuing conversation to lead through further discussion.
People on dating sites are using ChatGTP to suggest conversation items
designed to impress their prospective dates.
I see little similarity to prayer. It is more like having a consultant
standing at your side making suggestions.

BillK