[ExI] Chat with Bing

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun May 21 08:00:01 UTC 2023

I see.

What I see is a static pattern to the replies, which soon becomes very
tedious: "I see", followed by a re-statement (or just plain repetition)
of your previous reply, with some extra information about the central
topic or character in your reply, then a question designed to keep you
talking.

Then an abrupt termination of the conversation as soon as you ask a
question that directly tries to get information about the system. Very
one-sided, and potentially sinister.

Good for finding information, but boring as hell, and definitely not
showing any indication of going in the direction of AGI.

Probably good for harvesting information about the users, though, which
is surely going to be a big motivator for the companies behind them. I
expect we'll see these systems becoming better and better at teasing out
information that people wouldn't normally want to give when just
visiting a website, signing up for a service, or buying something online.

This sounds like it will be very attractive to authoritarian governments
and similar organisations, too. After a few of these 'innocent'
conversations, you inadvertently betray what your true religious
convictions/opinion of the government/sexual inclinations/criminal
activities/core values are, then mysteriously disappear or meet with an
accident or end up in jail.

Looks like a lot of people are going to have to get really good at lying
to AIs! In some places, refusing to use them will probably be like not
having a smartphone in China - grounds for  suspicion and investigation.

Ben