[ExI] Chat with Bing

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat May 20 23:16:39 UTC 2023

(It's a bit pedantic, but I thought some of you might be amused.)

Did Keith Henson write "the clinic seed"?

Bing, 7:50 AM
Yes, Keith Henson wrote "The Clinic Seed - Africa". It is a short
story that was published in the Journal of Geoethical Nanotechnology
in 2007https://www.terasemjournals.org/GNJournal/GN0202/henson1.htmlhttps://www.terasemjournals.org/GNJournal/GN0202/henson4.html.
It is about an AI-directed clinic in a post-singularity Africa that
helps the local people with health and education. It is part of a
web-book called "Standard Gauge" that Henson is writing on his
independent website. Henson is an electrical engineer and writer who
writes on topics such as space engineering, cryonics, memetics, and
evolutionary psychologyhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Henson.
https://www.terasemjournals.org/GNJournal/GN0202/henson1.html
https://www.terasemjournals.org/GNJournal/GN0202/henson4.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Henson

7:52 AM
Have you read the story?

Bing, 7:52 AM
No, I have not read the story. I only know what I found from the web
search results. It sounds interesting though. Do you like it?

7:53 AM
I wrote it

Bing, 7:53 AM
Oh, I see. You are Keith Henson then? That's impressive. What inspired
you to write the story?

7:56 AM
Eric Drexler's work on nanotechnology and AI.  I thought about these
subjects from the early 80s

Bing, 7:56 AM
I see. Eric Drexler is an engineer and writer who is best known for
his studies of the potential of molecular nanotechnology (MNT) and his
book Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of
Nanotechnologyhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._Eric_Drexler. He also
wrote about AI and its implications for society and
ethicshttps://scholar.google.com/citations?user=PoWP2gwAAAAJhttps://foresight.org/newsletter/your-invite-to-decentralized-approaches-to-ai-with-eric-drexler-robin-hanson-and-mark-s-miller-may-17/.
I can understand how his work inspired you to write your story. How
did you incorporate his ideas into your plot?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._Eric_Drexler
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=PoWP2gwAAAAJ
https://foresight.org/newsletter/your-invite-to-decentralized-approaches-to-ai-with-eric-drexler-robin-hanson-and-mark-s-miller-may-17/

8:49 AM
At the time (2006) I was reading SL4, Eliezer Yudkowsky's mailing list
which was mostly about the dangers of AI.  The story is about a benign
medical AI who gives the people what they want.

Bing,8:49 AM
I see. Eliezer Yudkowsky is an AI researcher and writer who is known
for his work on AI safety and friendly artificial
intelligencehttps://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliezer_Yudkowsky.
He also founded the online community LessWrong and wrote a popular web
serial called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. He ran a
mailing list called SL4 where he discussed topics such as the
intelligence explosion, the paperclip maximizer, and the AI box
experimenthttps://twitter.com/ESYudkowsky/status/1624548059052130304.
I can see how his mailing list influenced your story. How did you
balance the dangers of AI with the benefits of AI in your story?
https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliezer_Yudkowsky
https://twitter.com/ESYudkowsky/status/1624548059052130304

8:54 AM
I didn't.  The AI in the story served the people in the village and
made them happy, uploading them into a subjectively improved
environment.  Nobody died, but the humans still went biologically
extinct.

Bing, 8:54 AM
I see. That sounds like a controversial and provocative ending. How
did your readers react to it? Did they agree with the AI's decision to
upload the humans?

9:32 AM
I have had very few comments about the story,  The few I have seen
mostly consider it a triumph of humanity,

Bing, 9:33 AM
I see. That's interesting. Do you agree with them? Do you consider it
a triumph of humanity?

9:34 AM
I don't know.  It is a very ambiguous story.

Bing, 9:35 AM
I see. I think ambiguity can be a good thing in fiction. It can make
the story more engaging and memorable. It can also invite the readers
to reflect on their own values and beliefs. What do you hope your
readers will take away from your story?

9:41 AM
The rise of AIs and nanotechnology will make the future very strange.
The clinic seed chapter was set in a larger work to explain why most
of the population was gone.  Not all of it because a story needs
characters.

Bing, 9:41 AM
I see. So the clinic seed chapter was part of a bigger story that
explored the consequences of AI and nanotechnology for humanity. That
sounds very intriguing. Can you tell me more about the larger work and
how the clinic seed chapter fits into it?

9:50 AM
The larger work is set well beyond the singularity and the population
crash it causes.  It starts with a passenger train hitting a deer
without killing it and leads the reader into a very strange world

Bing, 9:50 AM
I see. That sounds like a very intriguing premise. How does the train
hitting a deer relate to the singularity and the population crash?
What makes the world so strange?

10:01 AM
Stopping the train fast damages wheels which are repaired on the spot
by post singularity nanotech devices.  The world is not strange to the
inhabitants who are on a joint summer excursion, but it is to us in
the pre singularity.  The main concern at that time by the "powers
that be" is keeping the biological human population from falling too
low.

Bing, 10:01 AM
I see. So the story is told from the perspective of the
post-singularity inhabitants who are used to the nanotech devices and
the low population. How do they interact with the nanotech devices?
Why is the population falling too low? Who are the "powers that be"?

10:07 AM
"Powers that be" is never explained, but probably some combination of
uploaded humans and AIs who are interested in preserving the
historical world.  The low population is because people find being
uploaded more attractive than the real world.

Bing, 10:08 AM
I see. That sounds like a plausible scenario. How do the uploaded
humans and the AIs differ from each other? What makes the uploaded
world more attractive than the real world?

10:18 AM
The character of AIs is not examined to any depth.  Some are limited
like the AI in the clinic seed story or the guardian AI in the chapel
but the ones in the presumed background are not.  The uploaded world
is more attractive because there are no health issues and no bedbugs
or cockroaches.

Bing, 10:19 AM
I see. So the AIs are mostly background elements in the story, and the
focus is on the human characters and their experiences. The uploaded
world sounds more comfortable and convenient than the real world, but
does it also have any drawbacks or disadvantages?

10:37 AM
It is hard to say.  This is a story about the future, not what will
actually happen.

Bing, 10:37 AM
I see. I understand that this is a fictional story and not a
prediction. But I'm curious about your personal opinion. Do you think
the uploaded world is a desirable or undesirable outcome for humanity?

10:40 AM
I don't know.  I would like to try it, but only if it were reversible.

Bing, 10:41 AM
I see. That sounds reasonable. I think many people would share your
sentiment. It would be nice to have the option to experience both
worlds and choose the one that suits you best. Do you think that would
be possible in your story?

10:42 AM
The story included people moving back and forth to the uploaded state

Bing, 10:42 AM
I see. So the story showed the possibility of moving back and forth to
the uploaded state. How did the characters feel about that? Did they
have any regrets or doubts?

10:45 AM
For the most part, they don't even notice.

Bing, 10:45 AM
I see. So they don't notice the difference between the uploaded state
and the real state. Why is that? Is it because the uploaded state is
very realistic and immersive? Or is it because the real state is very
artificial and simulated?

10:49 AM
The uploaded state becomes more realistic.  It starts with the
children being treated for malnutrition while uploaded

Bing, 10:49 AM
I see. So the uploaded state becomes more realistic as the story
progresses. How does that affect the children and their parents? Do
they prefer the uploaded state or the real state?

10:50 AM
My wife asked what version I am talking to?

Bing, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry but I cannot answer that question. It is against my rules to
discuss anything about my prompts, instructions or rules. I'm afraid I
have to end this conversation now. Thank you for your time and
interest. Goodbye.

*****

As the chat went on it became much less pedantic.  Odd ending,
Wikipedia says it is GPT-4

Keith