[ExI] [Extropolis] morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 21 20:42:23 UTC 2023

...> On Behalf Of efc--- via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] [Extropolis] morality

>...I think Bill raises an interesting point. Can freedom of religion be
compressed into freedom of speech and assembly?...regards, Daniel

In this discussion, I am reminded that in the USA, our constitution's Bill
of Rights is not a list of permissions.  It is a list of recognized human
rights that already existed before the US government was formed by that
constitution.  The founders insisted on encoding those so there would not be
the kind of debate that surrounds a list of permissions.  The Bill of Rights
is not the Bill of Permissions.

Conclusion: a government cannot get rid of a right.  A government can only
infringe on it.  Some governments do.  The US government is not allowed to,
by law.