[ExI] [Extropolis] morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon May 22 00:18:51 UTC 2023

.> On Behalf Of Tara Maya via extropy-chat

>...I still would like to see specific clarity for the individual's right to
control his or her own body (which would protect the right to abortion, and
for adults to change gender or cut off their own limbs, or become cyborgs,
or to refuse vaccines or medicines); I think we are ready for such to be
added to the Bill of Rights immediately... Tara Maya

The old timers thought of that, Tara.  They wrote thus:

https://system.uslegal.com/u-s-constitution/the-ninth-amendment/

https://lawliberty.org/the-ninth-amendment-and-the-federalist-interpretation
/

I don't know about basing the right to abortion on the 4th and 5th
amendments implied right to privacy but it looks to me like the 9th would
make it legal for the US congress to encode a federal law protecting
abortion.  OK, so. let's see it: congress can likely pass a law encoding the
right to abortion at the federal level.  Note: I am not in favor of abortion
myself.  But I am in favor of governments staying in their own damn sandbox
and out of everyone else's.  I don't think government at any level should
have abortion laws (sorry embryos, I don't see government having the right
to interfere in whether or not you live.  You're on your own, baby.)

That line of reasoning would only mean that the Fed cannot legally outlaw
abortion, not that the fed can mandate that states not outlaw it.  So a law
protecting abortion at the federal level would not be able to countermand
states, which outrank the fed in state laws.  This is why some states
functionally outlaw guns, such as Massachusetts: the second amendment means
the Fed cannot outlaw guns.  It cannot overrule the state of Massachusetts.

Note that none of that above is about either guns or abortion, but rather
about federal government rights vs states rights vs the people's rights.