[ExI] free will

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 23:54:51 UTC 2023

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 20:46, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sapolsky readily admits that his views are controversial.  :)
> But he is not arguing against law and order. Punishments and
> incentives are part of the drivers of behaviour.
>
> He has published a book on the subject, reviewed here by Psychology today -
> <https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/one-among-many/201709/sapolsky-free-will>
>--------------------------------------

Now there is another article about free will, with various researchers
(including Sapolsky) discussing the problem.
And Sapolsky has a new book out as well.

<https://nautil.us/yes-we-have-free-will-no-we-absolutely-do-not-431904/>
Quotes:
Do we have free will? The question is ancient—and vexing.
Everyone seems to have pondered it, and many seem quite certain of the
answer, which is typically either “yes” or “absolutely not.”
-------
As Ismael told a lecture audience in Toronto recently, the puzzle of
free will is the ultimate philosophical whack-a-mole.
“When you tease out one thread of argument that’s supposed to lead to
the conclusion that there is no free will … people say ‘No, no, that’s
not what I meant by free will,’ or, ‘the problem’s not over there,
it’s over here,” she told me. “And they give you a different argument,
or they give you a different conception of free will. So every time
you nail down one of them, you get something else coming up where
people say, ‘no, no, the real argument is over here.’”