[ExI] The multiverse is unscientific nonsense

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Nov 19 19:32:46 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-14 19:27, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 6:59 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
>
>> There is no experimental evidence for string theory, but there is
>> pretty
>> good experimental evidence for Everett's multiverse. One
>> particularly
>> interesting experiment is the Elitzur-Vaidman Bomb Detector where
>> one
>> can distinguish live bombs from duds in this universe, by blowing
>> them
>> up in another universe. This is a process called Interaction-free
>> measurement where you are measuring a system without disrupting it
>> in
>> this universe, by disrupting it in another universe. In Copenhagen
>> or
>> Q-Bism interpretations of quantum mechanics, it leads to paradoxes
>> thinking about how an event that never happened could give you
>> information about an object in the real world.
>>
>> Here is a good paper on the topic
>> https://arxiv.org/pdf/0804.0523.pdf
> The paper fails to describe detection in a different universe, only in
> a contained subset of this universe.  It gives no evidence for the
> existence of other universes.

It is not direct evidence, it is inferential evidence. Anytime a
particle interferes with itself, it has to interact with "something".
That something must be an alternate version of itself in another
universe. Otherwise, the particle has to be smart enough to do some
pretty crazy math to know what it is supposed do when observed.

Here is another cool experiment using interaction-free measurementby a
group who used phase gratings and magnetic lenses to turn a transmission
electron microscope into the electron-version of a  Mach-Zehnder
interferometer similar to that of an Elitzur–Vaidman bomb tester. They
are trying to achieve interaction-free electron-microscopy.

https://pure.tudelft.nl/ws/portalfiles/portal/97879775/PhysRevLett.127.110401.pdf

Abstract:
Here, we experimentally demonstrate interaction-free measurements with
electrons using a novel
electron Mach-Zehnder interferometer. The flexible two-grating electron
interferometer is constructed in a
conventional transmission electron microscope and achieves high contrast
in discrete output detectors,
tunable alignment with independently movable beam splitters, and
scanning capabilities for imaging. With
this path-separated electron interferometer, which closely matches
theoretical expectations, we demonstrate
electron interaction-free measurements with an efficiency of 14.1%.
Implementing this quantum
protocol in electron imaging opens a path toward interaction-free
electron microscopy.

Seems legit to me. I wonder what applications interaction-free electron
microscopy would enable. Non-destructive uploading perhaps?

Stuart LaForge