[ExI] Culture war and universal values in the age of spiritual machines

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 10:48:07 UTC 2023

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023, 5:11 AM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> Hello Jason,
>
> That sounds like a tough moral to live up to. What does he say about the
> fact that we by design never will have that information?

He acknowledges that it is impossible to live up to or achieve, but lays
out the argument showing that this is what morality concerns, and
acknowledging this provides both a justification for why we should all try
to act morally in the first place (why we should try to be good), as well
as a foundation for agreement on what should be the most moral action (what
is the most good), even if that's not knowable, we would at least all agree
if we had perfect knowledge of the situation. So we can build and justify
heuristics on this common foundation, now that we have one.

> Does he advocate for best effort? If so, it seems like the power of the
> principle to guide people is not the strongest.

He saw all previous attempts at justifying morality (answering: for what
reason ought we be good) as wanting. The goal of this paper is to answer
the question of why (rather than the how).

Jason