[ExI] quote of the day

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Oct 6 19:50:04 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, 6 October, 2023 11:27 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] quote of the day

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 11:16 AM BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 at 19:01, John Klos via extropy-chat
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> > I believe you are correct about his point of view: to Spike, presumably
> > Spike is indeed more important than money. ;)
>
> All the money in the world couldn't get you another Spike ;)
>
> John

Yea, even if you cloned 100 little Spikelets (he's probably considering it).  :)
Their environment, education, etc. would be so different that they
would not turn out like the original Spike.
Best bet is to use AI to create a Spikebot and let it loose in the
world to create havoc. :)

>…One could try to find a way to upload Spike's mind, so as to make copies of it.  Making bodies for those Spikes to inhabit would presumably be relatively easier, once the uploading is done…

Dang I need to read everything before I post anything.

If we had a way to upload ourselves, you know what would happen: we would replicate like… an uploaded human and have a friendly Singularity.  For a while.  Then of course whoever uploaded the most would be so powerful, the next unescapable step is becoming evil.  There is simply no exception, none.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even if a mostly decent person (such as me) gets hold of it.  There has never been a truly benevolent dictator, and can never be.  Absolute power corrupts all humans to some extent.  All point zero, everyone.