[ExI] Coal gas [Re: Somewhat off topic]

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 18:52:04 UTC 2023

This proposal is an attempt to deal with the economics of intermittent
renewables.  The problem with making hydrogen from PV is the cost of
the platinum in the electrolysis cell and the fact that they run only
~1/3rd of the time, increasing the capital cost (already high) by a
factor of 3.

Without actually having the numbers, I *think* the cost of a submerged
arc system would be much less than platinum cells per unit of hydrogen
produced.  These have never been designed and built and I can see
serious problems with thermal cycling.

But if the problems can be solved, this is a way to make use of
intermittent power and produce an energy-rich storable product.

Open to other ideas.

Keith