[ExI] biggies all in favor of government regulation on ai

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Sep 17 13:29:36 UTC 2023

The California governor is moving forward with big plans to regulate AI.
But that leaves a bunch of unanswered questions, such as the most obvious
ones: how does a state enforce governor's whims when the state legislature
never passed a law?  We saw that in the mask mandates, which were really
suggestions, but businesses could treat them as law if they wished.

A friend asked me why the software CEOs, particularly the big guys, such as
Elon Musk, seemed to be all on board with government regulation of AI.

My answer: big companies benefit from more government regulation.  Example
is the aerospace business.  The big guys can afford the compliance
infrastructure that will break the annoying small competitor.  Nature's
functional equivalent is the forest fire benefitting the massive redwoods
because it clears out the stuff on the ground below.