[ExI] biggies all in favor of government regulation on ai

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Sun Sep 17 16:57:39 UTC 2023

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

> My answer: big companies benefit from more government regulation.  Example is the aerospace business.  The big guys can afford the
> compliance infrastructure that will break the annoying small competitor.  Nature’s functional equivalent is the forest fire
> benefitting the massive redwoods because it clears out the stuff on the ground below.

Correct. Regulatory capture is a well established technique for big
businesses and oligopolies to keep small businesses and startups away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture

Just look at banks. I think that is probably one of the best modern
examples and why so many neobanks label themselves as financial
services, money lenders, money transfers companies, basically anything
_but_ banks (at least in europe).

Best regards,
Daniel