[ExI] The meaning of life? Let's solve this together, once and for all! ; )

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Thu Sep 28 13:08:20 UTC 2023

Hello Bill,

On Thu, 28 SBep 2023, BillK via extropy-chat wrote:

> I think you have two discussions here.

Most likely, or even more. I thought I'd start broad, and then narrow it
down. =)

> Maslow's hierarchy of needs is popular in Western psychology.
> But it has also been criticised for misleading stages of needs and
> being too biased towards Western culture.

Yes, I know it is criticised, but I do think it is a good framework to
start from when talking about different levels of meaning for different
stages of life.

Do you have any suggestions for a better framework?

> The other discussion is the meaning of life, that has kept
> philosophers busy for thousands of years.

Amen!

> Basically, it is a 'Choose your Philosophy' discussion.  :)

If you so choose! ;) Maybe there is one ultimate meaning (TM)?

> I don't think you will reach any agreement on this, especially as we
> like to pick and mix our favourite parts of all the philosophical
> systems!

Has there ever been any unanimous agreement? Perhaps, as Admiral Akbar
says "it's a trap!". ;)

Thank you very much for your input never the less. =)

Best regards,
Daniel