[ExI] The meaning of life? Let's solve this together, once and for all! ; )

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 12:55:49 UTC 2023

On Wed, 27 Sept 2023 at 22:20, efc--- via extropy-chat

> Good evening everyone,
> Let's solve this together, once and for all! ;)
>
> When it comes to the meaning of life, I believe that it cannot be found as an
> object in the world, and I do not believe that it is something that can be told
> which would instantly create meaning. I think that meaning is deeply personal
> and it is something which has to be experienced and lived in order to express
> and feel it.
>
> The meaning I am talking about is a deep seated, fundamental meaning that
> brings you peace as an individual.
>
> But, I also believe there are different levels of meaning, and although it has
> been criticized, as an approximate framework to talk within, I kind of like
> Maslows pyramid of needs. We have a need for life, a drive to live, for safety,
> food, etc. On top of that we have our everyday meaning, we need to feel wanted
> and that we produce something. I believe for instance, that the human body was
> made for input and output. If you starve the input, or starve the output,
> you'll create an imbalance that will impact your psychological health.

<snip>

> So with that said, what do you all think about the meaning of life?
>
> Best regards, Daniel

Hi Daniel

I think you have two discussions here.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is popular in Western psychology.
But it has also been criticised for misleading stages of needs and
being too biased towards Western culture.

The other discussion is the meaning of life, that has kept
philosophers busy for thousands of years.
Basically, it is a 'Choose your Philosophy' discussion.  :)
I don't think you will reach any agreement on this, especially as we
like to pick and mix our favourite parts of all the philosophical
systems!

BillK