[ExI] Communications a Moore's Law Phenomenon?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:16:28 UTC 2024

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 10:45 AM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> Fascinating! It only gets worse and worse! I can see people moving to
> online calls only in that case, and completely dropping the good old phone
> eventually.

I have encountered more than one case of precisely that happening already.
It's slightly frustrated by the range of services that require one to have
a way to receive SMS messages, which in most cases means a phone with a
phone number.

There do exist phone numbers which can only receive SMS messages, not voice
calls, but that's a bit of an inconvenience.  Some of those services
require the ability to receive voice calls to the number, but won't tell
you until after you're locked into having to verify some code that will
only be given out by voice and no ability to change your number until after
you verify.