[ExI] Communications a Moore's Law Phenomenon?

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Tue Apr 2 20:52:53 UTC 2024

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 10:45 AM efc--- via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>       Fascinating! It only gets worse and worse! I can see people moving to
>       online calls only in that case, and completely dropping the good old phone
>       eventually.
>

> I have encountered more than one case of precisely that happening already.  It's slightly frustrated by the range of services that
> require one to have a way to receive SMS messages, which in most cases means a phone with a phone number.
>
> There do exist phone numbers which can only receive SMS messages, not voice calls, but that's a bit of an inconvenience.  Some of
> those services require the ability to receive voice calls to the number, but won't tell you until after you're locked into having to
> verify some code that will only be given out by voice and no ability to change your number until after you verify.

That scares me! I like the unix philosophy of having one tool, that does
one thing well. So I do not like the trend of pushing everything (payment,
ID, social media, your life, calls, sms) onto your one and only smart
phone.

I enjoy the peace of mind I get by decentralizing. I might lose my phone,
but it's a button phone so I could probably leave it on the side walk and
no one would touch it.

But boy do the tears come the few times I've seen someone lose her smart
phones. The persons entire life is lost.

My weak point is my laptop, but since it is so big I don't carry it around
with me very often, and you notice it is there. It's not a tiny slab of
glass in your back pocket so it does feel kind of safe. ;)