[ExI] after upload, what?

Travis Porco tcporco at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 18:46:11 UTC 2024

>From: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
>To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: Re: [ExI] Fwd: after upload, what?
>
>On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 at 22:41, Travis Porco via extropy-chat
><extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>
>> I'm hoping that preservation of the narrative self through current AI
>> models will be possible.  It's not really mind uploading, and it shouldn't
>> even be called reincarnation.  The hard question is how to get help from others
>> once one has become little more than an appliance.
>>
>> --tcp

>Digital Immortality is now being discussed in the general public news
>channels in the UK.
>BillK

><https://news.sky.com/story/we-all-want-to-live-forever-the-tech-letting-people-create-avatars-for-loved-ones-to-meet-after-they-die-13101996>
>Quote:
>The new tech bringing loved ones back to life through AI
>The virtual reality tool called "live forever mode" features digital
>avatars who can simulate a person's voice, mannerisms and movements
>after just 30 minutes of the user being observed.
>Arthi Nachiappan     Saturday 30 March 2024 14:22, UK

>He wants his avatar to outlive him so his future relatives can experience it.
>He adds: "Instead of my kids having to hear stories of me and kind of
>make an idea of what they think I am in the past, they can actually
>talk to me and really know who I was, and that will give them a
>stronger sense of self."

Thank you--yes, this is the sort of thing.  Up to a point.  One does
not want the
upload to be a limited, static memorial thing, but rather a capable
agent capable
of continued growth.

The challenge is only partly technical, but also legal.  Getting a
mechanism to maintain
such an entity in its digital valhalla after the primary has died is
actually the main challenge
right now.

--tcp