[ExI] "Olympics on steroids" takes a high-tech, F1-style angle on athletics

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:47:17 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 8, 2024 at 10:29 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Regarding drug-enhanced competitions, we had an ExI chatter who insisted
> that drugs could improve performance in chess.  I very steadfastly argued
> that they cannot, with the possible well-known exception being caffeine.
>
> If there is one thing on this planet which Peter Thiel loves more than
> money, it is chess.  If I knew how to contact him, I would propose he put
> up a modest sum for prize money, then have a tournament of stoners vs
> squares.
>
> I would cheerfully play for the squares.
>
> I suppose to make it fair, the same players would need to switch teams,
> and if so, he can count me out.  But if anyone could find a way, some kind
> of objective measure, I would still bet on Team Square.

It has for many years been the case that the best chess programs can beat
the best human players.  So far as I know, at the time the assessment was
against humans not on any particular performance enhancing drugs;
subsequent improvements would no doubt have them beat even drug-boosted
humans by now.

Granted, this performance would use the usual methods to screen out AI
enhancements, although there would need to be care not to allow devices
explained as drug enhancements but actually there to let an AI watching the
match speak to a human player.