[ExI] jbrains again, was: RE: Early Archives... Re: Yudkowsky ‘Humanity’s remaining timeline? It looks more like five years than 50’

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 22:02:18 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 9:30 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> [...]

Can't do.  Good idea or bad, the historical record says Perry Metzger
came up with it.

> The speed of light making such a brain slower than humans is to me mostly irrelevant for two reasons.  A JBrain (and an MBrain) would not necessarily function as a single brain but rather more analogous to a community, where the unit analogous to a single brain might be restricted to a trillion nodes which are all located within a few milliseconds of each other.

A mS is 1000 Hz.  Human brains are around 200 Hz.

> The latency would still be longer than a human brain, but what is the hurry?  A JBrain (or an MBrain) wouldn't be subject to our cruel 80 to 100 year span.  If they are slower and it takes 30 years to play a leisurely chess game, well OK then, that isn't a show-stopper.  They have no lunch date or doctor appointment to worry about.
>
> Although I will never claim to be the inventor of the JBrain, I will cheerfully claim to be the guy who recognized the advantage of the JBrain over the MBrain: it gives us a solution to the nagging thermal problem.  A JBrain is less capable, but far less likely to overheat.  After all these years, I still think Robert was wrong on that: there is no magic advanced tech solution to the overheating MBrain problem.  I think that problem is inherent, but wouldn't be difficult to solve for a JBrain.  Our friend the good old Stefan-Boltzmann law will take care of us there, without even active heat control.  I predict that in the long run, the JBrain idea will come back into fashion before the MBrain.

While it depends on what you want to do, I can't think of *any* use
for a JBrain.

> Fun aside for you and all of us Tabby's Star fans: it is clear enough that the periodic dimming isn't an MBrain, but it might be a bunch of JBrains,

The biggest, the 22% dip, is an object over 400 times the area of the
Earth.  Even out at 7 AU, it is intercepting 1.4 million times the
energy used by all of humanity.  The object is colder than it should
be, so they may be using directional radiation.

How many uploaded humans could this thing accommodate?

Keith