[ExI] jbrains again, was: RE: Early Archives... Re: Yudkowsky ‘Humanity’s remaining timeline? It looks more like five years than 50’

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 22 22:14:09 UTC 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>

>...While it depends on what you want to do, I can't think of *any* use for a JBrain...

No worries Keith, a JBrain could likely come up with a use for a JBrain.  Eventually.  They are slow, but not in the way we think of slow humans.  They are slow like that TV detective from a long time ago, Columbo.

> Fun aside for you and all of us Tabby's Star fans: it is clear enough
> that the periodic dimming isn't an MBrain, but it might be a bunch of
> JBrains,

>...The biggest, the 22% dip, is an object over 400 times the area of the Earth.  Even out at 7 AU, it is intercepting 1.4 million times the energy used by all of humanity.  The object is colder than it should be, so they may be using directional radiation...

That is an interesting notion.  My MBrain calcs suggest that directional radiation is necessary to prevent overheating of the inboard nodes.

If directed radiation is used by JBrains, it would make sense: they are gradually climbing into a higher orbit to make room for their offspring.  Propose those be called Aegians.

>...How many uploaded humans could this thing accommodate?

Keith

None, that isn't what those do.

Keith your question may help me to understand why you see no use for JBrains: perhaps you are thinking in terms of a home for uploaded humans.  I am not viewing them that way and don't see much potential for that purpose.